Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cat Dread

Well, it's with sincere apologies to any cat-lovers out there that I announce I'm officially experiencing a severe case of cat dread. I bet you didn't know that was a medical condition, but I promise you, it is!

Beginning Friday, I will be pet-sitting for 16 days for a cat and a dog. I have sat with these particular ones several times and the cat and I have a mutual dislike for each other.

Firstly, I am not a cat person. I am a dog person. I can't explain why necessarily, I just know that's the way it is. Perhaps because putting things on counters (say your toothbrush for example) does not make it out of the reach of a cat and hair from said cat. NASTY!

Then, there is the pill-giving attempts of 2009 where I was supposed to get the cat to take a pill. WHAT?!?! I was successful 2 of 4 attempts. I gave up after that and for the remaining 8 days of that particular jaunt, the cat was fine without the med. Dogs are so easy to give meds to--just put the pill in PB or in cheese or in a hot dog or any "food-like substance" and the dog will lick it up in no time. Not so much with cats.

Then, there was the door-closing-on-the-cat episode of 2009. Cat tried to escape and got caught in the door and that scared it half to death...

So now, as soon as I walk in the door and the cat sees it's me, it runs the other way. Fine with me (of course do NOT mention this to the owner...she thinks the cat loves me!)

The only things that make this pet-sitting gig bearable are the sweet little (Toy Poodle) dog and the money I make. It's really pretty good money for the effort. Owner has a nice apartment that includes washer/dryer so one of the bennies of my stay will be not having to pay for doing my laundry. :)

The main stress of the assignment (other than just being in the presence of a cat which stresses me to a certain degree) is that both of the animals are pretty old and sick. I would hate for anything to happen while the owner is gone. She is going out of the country and so it will be hard to deal with any health issues due to the difficulty to reach her (Skype, no regular phone). There is also a horse, but thankfully she has a trainer for him and where he's being boarded will take care of him (I know nothing and am slightly afraid of horses). I am on call in the case of a horse emergency in that I will have to Skype the owner where she will be and relay info.

So between now and Friday, I will thoroughly enjoy the remaining 3 nights in my own bed and will try to counteract the cat dread with thoughts of the money I'll make...which will be my first deposit in my saving-to-visit-friends-in-Ukraine fund. :)

1 comment: