Sunday, February 20, 2011

Straining to hear Him

A couple weeks ago I got a precious gift when my 3 year old niece left me my first ever voicemail from her. I had to strain to hear her little voice, especially when she whispered. Of course she whispered, Mommy & Daddy were (to prompt her!) :) I have played the messge over and over so I don't miss a sound and can just hear her little voice over and over.

Yesterday I had my SS class prayer meeting. It ended up being just the teacher and me, but it was a sweet time. I played her the voicemail from A because I'm just so proud of it. When we were praying, she made the analogy that just like we were straining to hear every sound of the voicemail from A, we should strain to hear every Word Almighty God says.

I'm not one that believes (in most cases) that the Lord speaks today in an audible voice. I believe He left us the Word and that, along with the Holy Spirit within us as believers, that's how He speaks to us. I was so convicted about how I allow myself to be so distracted by the trivial (TV, internet, reading, etc.) that I don't take the awesome opportunity to spend more time with the God of the universe, my Heavenly Father.

A passage that I am memorizing right now has always been precious to me. I grew up knowing it in the KJV/NIV/NASB versions of the Bible. But this time I'm memorizing from Eugene Peterson's paraphased version, The Message. It says:

"I know what I'm doing - I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on Me, when you come and pray to Me, I'll listen. When you come looking for Me, you'll find Me. Yes, when you get serious about finding Me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disapointed."--Jeremiah 29:11-13, The Message

What a promise - Almighty God promises that He will listen to little old insignificant me. That when I seek him whole-heartedly, He won't hide - He will allow me to find Him. It just struck me what an amazing promise He makes to us.

I hope that today, no matter where you are in life that you will strain to hear your Heavenly Father's voice. Look to Him--He will listen. He knows, He cares, He listens, you'll find Him. WOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment