Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Kyiv Trip re-cap part 11

On Thursday during my Kyiv trip, Tara and I visited the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavre. It was beautiful as you can see. What I can't give you an idea of is the scope. I don't know how many buildings there were, but they just seemed to keep coming, one as pretty as the next.

Here is a view heading back up the hill:

There was a sculpture made of Ukrainian Pysanky eggs - the eggs were so beautiful and varied in colors and patterns, as you can see:





Here is the sculpture:


Your head had to be covered to go inside. Tara rocked the scarf look much better than I:





Some of the buildings of the Lavre:




Much like St. Sofia's, you can see where they built new (white) over old (brick) above.



Baptism of Christ:




The Lavre is an active monestary, but we were not able to observe prayers or a service. I do believe we saw a couple monks pass by, but they walked so quickly and quietly that they were basically gone before you realized whom you were looking at. Yes, the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavre is definitely another beautiful part of Kyiv and I'm very thankful I was able to see it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment