Saturday, September 21, 2013

CA vacation, part 8 (the end)

Kristan and Dick decided we would go to Squaw Valley, the home of the 1960 winter Olympics, to go up to the top of the mountains.



A map showing how expansive Squaw Valley is:


It ended up being prohibitively expensive to ride the tram up, so we just walked around the little village that no doubt is buzzing during skiing season.  There were shops on bottom and condos on top.


I thought these stools were so cute at the gelato shop.






I was just in awe at the beauty of God's creation.  Growing up in the flat soybean and corn fields of Ohio, and now living in the flat, concrete filled city of Dallas, TX, I loved all the change in terrain and topography.  I so enjoyed my time with Kristan and her husband. The last morning I was there, I woke up to the outside temperature of 46, and the inside temperature of 61!  Love it!!  It will be another month or so before I can begin to hope for even a chance of weather like that here... It was hard to say good-bye, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to have been able to visit her and her retirement piece (and peace) of paradise.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had this time, Sarah! What a treat to have personal tour guides show you around another part of the state! I still remember our time in Monterey- ok, so now you need to make it 3 for 3 assignment locations and come to AR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful country! Love the ice cream chairs! You grew up on the west side of Ohio if it was flat. South and east is gorgeous hills and valleys, and TX, yeah, when I moved there as a teenager I dreamt of cowboys and tumbleweed. I had NO idea it was going to be all concrete, flat and so stinkin' hot! We are already experiencing the 40's to 60's range this week and I love it too! Love reading your vacation journal!

    ReplyDelete